New York ODA converts a brickyard into a hub for creative people, replacing the main façade with a permeable structure made of glass and steel.
Overlooking the East River, very close to Manhattan Bridge, Brooklyn shows its new landmark. An
industrial building built in 1898 was restored by the office of New York ODA which fully cut out the
façade made of bricks overlooking the waterfront and replaced it with one made of glass and steel
characterised by its multifaced geometries.
Whereas ODA did not intervene on the interiors of this ten-storey block and decided to leave them
in their raw state waiting for the colonization by the local community.
As a consequence of the change of the USA economy – and in general of the western one – the old
sugar factory was converted into an incubator of creative energies. The contemporary
intervention, however, does not delete the industrial essence of this building which, like the whole
Brooklyn district, proudly keeps its productive and labouring character.