LONDON POWERHOUSE CHELSEA WATERFRONT
Powerhouse, London’s largest power station, built in 1905 and operating until 2002, is being redesigned. Originally known as Lots Road Power Station, the building is the largest steel structure ever built in Great Britain and was responsible for generating electricity to power the London Underground for more than a century.
The project, the largest redevelopment in Europe, will result in the transformation of a now completely derelict area into a complex, the Powerhouse Chelsea Waterfront, with a mixed residential and commercial use (35% of which will be used as social housing), with 260 new houses, commercial units, and retail lots, as well as spaces for public use and outdoor green areas.
The complex is located in the heart of the exclusive Chelsea district, in London, a hot spot for those who love luxury and refined cuisine, thanks to its very wide range of boutiques and starred restaurants. Situated on the banks of the Thames, the power station Powerhouse is recognizable by its red brick structure, typical of turn-of-the-century British buildings, and consists of two glass towers, with 37 and 25 stories, and three buildings overlooking the river, connected by bridges. All around, parks and scenic routes offer a spectacular view of the old and new areas of London.
A team of architects led by Sir Terry Farrell was commissioned to restore and refurbish the exterior facades, while the interior design is by the award-winning Fiona Barratt Interiors firm. For the exterior redevelopment, three bridges and several walkways were added to efficiently connect the different areas of the complex. For the interiors, the project aims to combine contemporary luxury with the building’s historical identity.